Top 10 Books About Mental Health
I really thought COVID-19 wasn't going to last this long, but here we are!
I don’t read a lot, but because of COVID-19, I have really been trying to educate myself as much as I can.
Here are some books I'm going to read soon and some that I have already read.
Super inspirational books and so enjoy!
Top 10 Must-haves:
1. Turtles All the Way Down By John Green
16-year-old Aza is trying to be the best daughter, a good friend, and struggle within her own thoughts.
2. How It Feels to Float By Helena Fox
Honest story about the mental health struggles within dealing with love, friendship, hope, and strength.
3. (Don’t) Call Me Crazy: 33 Voices Start the Conversation about Mental Health By Kelly Jensen
Answering those silent questions in your head about how “crazy” is defined as, why we need to talk about mental illnesses and the struggles within labels.
4. It’s Kind of a Funny Story: Ned Vizzini
TRIGGER WARNING of suicidal thoughts within the book, the challenges that bring Craig with trying to do everything “right” in his life while slowly his mental health is deteriorating. https://www.amazon.com/Its-Kind-Funny-Story-Vizzini/dp/078685197X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encodin g=UTF8&qid=&sr=&linkCode=sl1&tag=afomaumesi-20&linkId=126c7910e0834a4747d4a91a2b ebd686&language=en_US
5. Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles By Jessica Ashley
Educating ourselves with learning the struggle authors have dealt with while struggling with their own mental health.
6. Twelve Steps to Normal By Farrah Penn
Kira in her journey of life is realizing life is too short and things are worth fighting for if you want to change.
7. Reasons to Stay Alive By Matt Haig
Focusing on ourselves and how we can treat ourselves with respect and dignity and learning to love who we are.
8. The Little Book of Mindfulness By Dr. Patrizia Collard
As the title says, mindfulness is the main focus within the book; and tells us the sad truth of living in a fast-paced world all focused on consumerism.
9. The Skin We’re In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power By Desmond Cole
Learning the struggles and focusing on the mental health and the power of creating change. https://www.amazon.ca/Skin-Were-Black-Resistance-Power/dp/B083QSFT58/ref=sr_1_12?dchil d=1&keywords=mental+health+black+authors&qid=1593287682&s=books&sr=1-12
10. Healing Traditions: The Mental Health of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada By Laurence J.Kirmayer & Gail Guthrie Valaskakis
Explaining factors that have created issues with Indigenous peoples’ lives and the domino effect of trauma and learning how culture and tradition can be part of healing within mental health. https://www.amazon.ca/Laurence-J-Kirmayer/dp/0774815248/ref=sr_1_1?crid=11WB5B 924LHMU&dchild=1&keywords=indigenous+mental+health&qid=1593287767&s=books &sprefix=indigenous+ment%2Cstripbooks%2C219&sr=1-1
Hope you have a great day, Christine xxx